A place for physics, video games, philosophy, and beer.

18 September 2010

Thoughts on Mass Effect

James V. Brown Library has a section where you can take out video games (for free!) so I was browsing it and saw Mass Effect, the game that really catapulted video game developer Bioware to fame. I had not yet even seen this game in action, but the game being a sci-fi space opera was really all I needed to ever know for me to be interested.

I popped the game into my Xbox and as usual with new games I let all of the before-game cutscenes roll. What was most obvious at the beginning is the Start Screen. It is a panoramic view of an unknown planet that slowly rotates under the camera. It is stunningly beautiful and the music that plays makes the scene even better.



After starting a new game, the create character screen comes up. I never put too much time into created characters, but since the menu was so easy to navigate and because changing the parameters actually did something (coughOBLIVIONcough), I made a character which I think looks tough.

For all the talk of Mass Effect's story, one would be led to believe that it is excellent. Well, it is. In a matter of seconds, the entire scope of the story is laid out. The characters are deep with intricate back-stories just begging to be explored. At the beginning of the game, in the create-a-character section of the game, you can actually choose from multiple back-stories for yourself and characters will react to this progressively throughout the game. It molds how they act towards you, and you can react back with an expected response, or in a way that would not usually be you.

One last major plus that is immediately obvious is that the graphics are amazing. This game is gorgeous and the environments are expansive and for the most part are quite expansive.

Well, those are the major things I could gather from the first two hours with the game.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Backup for video is here: LINK (.flv)

No comments:

Post a Comment