A place for physics, video games, philosophy, and beer.

27 October 2010

Reading - The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton

I started reading a book last year called The Reality Dysfunction, authored by Peter F. Hamilton. I was quite intrigued by the minimalistic, yet beautiful cover. On the inside cover are a plethora of reviews from almost every single major literary critique, especially those that focus on science fiction. Every single one is very positive, making the book sound like a masterpiece. Plus, it is part of a space opera trilogy, so I was drawn immediately.

From reading the first paragraph, Hamilton's strong grasp of the English language is evident as he weaves beautiful prose together describing the formation of a wormhole. This pace would seem unmaintainable, yet, as far as I am, Hamilton has kept going at a ferocious pace that is both readable and unbelievable. I have never read science fiction so full of accurate descriptions and yet so lively and imaginative and I am only a hundred pages into this 1094 page tome.

I will be back with more impressions of The Reality Dysfunction. I am thinking of doing a chapter to chapter impression posts, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Simple, but Beautiful Cover

1 comment:

  1. Sounds intriguing. From your description I cannot imagine not wanting to read it now! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete